TOP: Pancake House, Studio 35, HCT at The Crew, blueberry buckle, Park Service Coffee, Getaway Brewing
BOTTOM: Jennings Java, Lawbird, Henmick, fry pies, Little Ladies, Aroma
A constantly updated list of things we’re loving: favorite dishes, hidden gems, new restaurants, upcoming events, unique drinks, special discoveries. Hopefully this list will inspire some of your own adventures!
- The new Aroma Restaurant downtown. It’s the new eatery in the former Si Senor space on Lynn Alley. Curious mix of Mediterranean and European flavors. We enjoyed everything we tried, from the walnut and pepper dip to the “angry potatoes” to the croquette-like potato/beef/peppers/mozzarella dish.
- Loving the Studio 35 Trifecta: Pizza, Beer, & Movies. One of my favorite places in Columbus.
- Amish fry pies at Lynd Fruit Farm. If you’re going for apples or to Instagram your way through the sunflower fields, make sure to stop by the farm market to load up on Swiss Maid fry pies. I’m partial to the blueberry.
- Speaking of blueberries, my favorite dessert this time of year is a blueberry buckle with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Beth recently made one using my grandmother’s recipe.
- Cold brew and Honduran beans from Jennings Java. The little roaster on South Front Street opens their storefront Wednesdays-Sundays. They serve a delightful nitro cold brew, canned coffee drinks, and beans. I loved the Honduran roast I tried from them.
- Donut World in Lancaster. A recent visit reminded us how Donut World ranks near the state’s best. A tiny, unassuming corner shack in downtown Lancaster, where they’re open 24/7 producing simple but stellar pastries.
- The Snack Time menu at Lawbird, 4-6 p.m. daily. Great drinks, creative bar snacks from chef Tyler Minnis.
- Breakfast kolaches from Kolache Republic. It had been too long since my last visit. Stopped by this week and loved on the chorizo jalapeno kolache breakfast sandwich. ALSO: KR’s breakfast sandwiches are now available at Stauf’s in Victorian Village. Perfect morning pairing!
- Great pancakes and even better Venezuelan breakfasts at The Pancake House in Lewis Center. This may become part of our regular breakfast rotation.
- Brioso Coffee‘s Espresso Milano. Been making a lot of espresso with this blend of Ethiopian and South American beans. Lovely nutty and sweet undertones with a bright layer of blueberry across the top.
- Cappuccinos and cold brew from the new Park Service Coffee trailer. Follow them on social to see where they’re parked.
- Henmick Farm & Brewery in Delaware. Sure to become a destination. Big, beautiful space on an old family farm. Rustic stone and wood interior, lots of stone and grass patio outdoors. Cocktails with local spirits, a worthy roster of beers like a pilsner, grapefruit wheat, pale ales, IPAs, sours.
- Little Ladies Soft Service. I’m just leaving them on the list as a permanent craving.
- Creative brunch and German beer in the beer garden at 1487 Brewery. Live music, interesting food, great beers for summer sipping.
Some resources for you:
- I collected all of the city’s donut shops into your Complete Guide to Columbus Donut Shops
- 16 Fried Chicken Sandwiches to Try
- I listed 15 sandwiches to try right now
- I’ve also suggested 10 Local Restaurants to Try Right Now
- And rounded up 12 black-owned brunch, breakfast and coffee shops
- Plus 15 takeout meals to try
- And 12 pizzas we’ve tried while staying home